(6 month term contract – February 1 to July 31st 2019)
Experiences Canada is looking for a Project Coordinator for its Youth Leadership Forum on Diversity and Inclusion to be held in the GTA between June 29-July 6 2019. Reporting to the President and CEO you will be responsible for coordinating the planning and production of the weeklong youth forum, managing logistics, and leading a project staff team of three in Ottawa, and a youth leadership team of 10 post-secondary youth selected from across the country to support the project.
Roles and Responsibilities
You are an experienced, take charge professional with ability to manage event administration and logistics to help deliver a high quality fun and informative event for young teenagers. Must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, pay attention to detail and meet deadlines with little supervision, and be willing to work evenings and weekends during peak project period. You have a passion for running events and are an outgoing, enthusiastic individual, with a natural ability to build relationships with youth, staff, volunteers, and project partners.
Event Planning and Administration:
- Develop and maintain a project timeline, budget and workplan and provide periodic progress reports to the Experiences Canada management team
- Prepare and modify event contracts as required
- Support the President and CEO in negotiating sponsorships and program partnerships, and stewarding these relationships
- Lead the recruitment, selection, and weekend training session for youth leaders from across Canada who will mentor and support the participants throughout the project
- Participate in site checks and meetings with event partners to plan activities and itineraries
- Serve as liaison with travel agency, special guests, suppliers and vendors, on event-related matters.
- Coordinate lodging, transportation, food and beverage, special needs requirements
- Order supplies and audiovisual equipment, order event signs, and ensure appropriate décor and staging for final youth presentation
- Create and revise participant and staff itineraries, event scenarios, room layouts and other documents for Forum events and activities.
Communications and Marketing :
- Work with communications team to develop and implement a plan for recruiting youth participation in the project
- Work with the communications team to establish key messages for the design and distribution of promotional materials for distribution to youth, parents, and educational and youth serving organizations via traditional and new media channels
- Oversee production of all event collateral materials,
- Oversee the creation of a social media strategy to engage youth in all aspects of the project
- In consultation with the President and CEO, oversee the planning and implementation of any public events and announcements with high profile stakeholders during the project
- Liaise with special guests and presenters, providing briefing notes and suggested remarks as required
- Responsible for writing and distributing regular internal project updates, workflows etc to regional partners and volunteers
- Handle all project inquiries and correspondence
Evaluation and Reporting:
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of quality. Provide updates to management and stakeholders as required.
- Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase, prepare draft final project reports for senior management and external stakeholders.
- 2-3 years of experience working in event management or hospitality-related position
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills, diplomacy and tact
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proof-reading skills, and public speaking.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, with an ability to accomplish projects with little supervision.
- Initiative, resourcefulness and outgoing character with the ability to anticipate potential challenges and find creative solutions
- Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft suite of programs
- Flexibility to work non-traditional hours during peak periods of the project
- Non-profit or volunteer management experience, or experience with a youth-serving organization an asset
- Bilingualism preferred.Strong oral and written communication skills in both French and English a definite asset.
- The successful applicant will need to provide a clear criminal record and vulnerable sector check prior to commencing work.
- Ottawa residency preferred although candidates located in the GTA will be considered.
To apply send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Friday, January 18th, 2019
(Summer Placement – Honorarium + Travel and Expenses)
Call for Youth Leaders!
Looking for an opportunity to work with motivated and passionate young Canadians? Hoping to build experience in event management, working with youth, or expand your network? Become a Youth Leader and put yourself at the forefront of this amazing youth-led educational program!
Experiences Canada is seeking 10 Canadians, aged 21-30, to lead the adventure of a lifetime. As a Youth Leader, you will chaperone and mentor 14-18-year-old project participants as they travel across Canada and explore historical sites, work with local charities in community service activities, and share what they learn with younger kids in a for youth, by youth, half-day forum you help them create.
Be part of a close-knit team who accompany the youth participants travelling to Toronto, supporting them in their week-long series of experiential learning activities and preparing them for their role at centre stage of the half-day Youth Forum in July 2019. Your role will also include helping plan and organize the week’s activities, supporting the participants as they prepare for the Forum, drafting final reports, and facilitating a life-changing experience that will impact hundreds of young Canadians.
This is a unique opportunity for you to gain valuable experience in youth education, event management, communications, team building and group facilitation.
- Must be a Canadian citizen
- Must be between the ages of 21 and 30 at the time of the project
- Must have a secondary school diploma
- Must be able to provide a clear police record and vulnerable sector check
- Must agree to abide by a code of conduct throughout the project period
- Must be available to complete a 3-day weekend training session in Ottawa at the end of March, 2019
Those interested in being considered for the project should email firstname.lastname@example.org with an up-to-date resume, cover letter, and a letter of reference from a teacher, elder, employer, or volunteer leader that can attest to your character and experience.
The application deadline is January 30, 2019.
Interviews with shortlisted candidates will be held in person or via skype between February 4 and 15, 2019.
Experiences Canada is seeking to develop a team of Youth Leaders that reflects the regional, linguistic and cultural diversity of the country. Experiences Canada will use the following selection criteria to evaluate applications:
- Demonstrated interest in cultural diversity and inclusion
- Experience working with children and youth in volunteer or paid capacity
- Demonstrated youth leadership qualities, ability to work in teams
- Strong communications abilities, verbal and written
- Bilingualism an asset
Commitment and Compensation
In addition to the 3-day training session in March, 2019, Youth Leaders will be required to make a commitment to travel to Toronto for the 8-day Youth Forum period between June 28th and July 7th 2019. Between the March training and the Youth Forum, Leaders will work together virtually to help prepare and plan for the Forum. All travel, accommodation, and meal expenses for the training session and Forum will be provided by Experiences Canada and its partners. In addition, each Youth Leader will receive a cash honorarium of $1000 at the completion of the project.
While we appreciate all those who apply, we regret that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by Experiences Canada.